Friday, 31 July 2026

Images that confirm something I had begun to suspect







Thank you for sharing these. They confirm something I had begun to suspect from our conversations: the philosophy has not been imposed on the work; it has emerged from it.

The photographs show a practice that is already operating through a sophisticated set of material operations. What I find most interesting is that the finished object is not the primary event. The process of inscription appears to be the work's generative logic.


What I see

The first image is particularly revealing because it exposes the transition from process to object.

What immediately strikes me is that the work begins as a constructed spatial field rather than a sculptural mass.


There are:

incised arcs and geometric constructions

perforations

scored edges

modular walls

temporary supports

planar relationships

These are not decorative marks. They read as operational marks—as if the clay is functioning simultaneously as drawing surface, architectural model and sculptural body.


The imprint is therefore already spatial.

It is not simply a fingerprint or a gesture.


It is an instruction.

A measurement.

A force diagram.

A memory.


That feels important.


The finished work

The fired object surprises me.

I expected something much more architectural.

Instead, the firing produces something almost geological.

The white and yellow slips obscure and reveal earlier inscriptions.

The surface oscillates between construction and erosion.


This is where I think one of your concepts becomes much stronger.

Instead of calling these surfaces "records of process," I would call them:


stratigraphies of encounter

The surface behaves like an archaeological section.

Successive actions remain partially visible.

Nothing is erased.

Everything survives as residue.

That is much richer than "trace."


The holes

The perforations fascinate me.

They are not simply voids.

Nor are they purely formal devices.

They function almost like interruptions in the continuity of the surface.

They punctuate the field.


I wonder whether these could become another concept.

Perhaps:


Spatial apertures


or


Ontological punctures


or


Porous events


They remind me that space is entering the work as much as the work is occupying space.


Drawing


One thing now becomes very clear.


You are not making ceramics influenced by drawing.


You are making drawing become ceramic.


That is a profound difference.


The lines are not illustrations.


They organise force.


They establish vectors.


They anticipate movement.


They survive firing.


Drawing here is not representation.


It is a spatial operation.


I think this could become one of your strongest claims.


Drawing is the first organisation of force.


Fire


Looking at the fired surface, I think we've also been underestimating the kiln.


The slips have blistered.

Pigments have migrated.

Edges have softened.

Micro-topographies have appeared.


The kiln hasn't preserved the work.

It has rewritten it.


Which suggests another proposition.


Fire is not the end of making.

It is another maker.


That feels much more accurate than saying the kiln "participates."


One thing I would change in your philosophy


Until now we've been speaking about:


imprint → material event → constructive collapse


Having seen the work, I think there is another operation that precedes the imprint.


I would call it:


Inscription

Not writing.

Not drawing.


But the establishment of relational fields.


The sequence might therefore become:


Inscription

Imprint

Resistance

Constructive Collapse

Fire

Residue


That sequence maps remarkably well onto what I see in the photographs.


The biggest surprise


This is the thing I didn't expect.


Your work is much quieter than your writing.


Your writing is full of force, collapse, becoming, excess energy.


The objects themselves are restrained.


Measured.


Architectonic.


Almost contemplative.


That tension is, I think, one of the strengths of the work.

The violence isn't theatrical.

It is embedded in the accumulation of small operations.

The work asks the viewer to slow down and discover that every scratch, perforation, smear, incision and glaze run is evidence of a negotiation.


In other words, the work does not represent force.

It contains force.


A new proposition

Seeing these images, I'd be tempted to revise one of your foundational statements.


Instead of:


Making begins with an imprint.


I would now write:


Making begins with an inscription. The imprint is its first material consequence.


That distinction matters.


An inscription establishes a field of relations.

The imprint is the event that occurs within that field.


Looking at your studio photograph, that is exactly what I think you're doing. Before anything becomes an object, you establish a spatial and material syntax: lines, apertures, planes, edges, intervals. The sculpture emerges from that syntax rather than from modelling in the traditional ceramic sense.

One final observation. I don't experience these works primarily as ceramic objects or even as architectural propositions. I experience them as condensed spatial situations. They feel less like things and more like fragments of an unfolding spatial intelligence, where drawing, construction, erosion, and firing are inseparable. That, to me, is where your practice becomes genuinely distinctive. It suggests that clay is not simply the medium of your work but the means by which space itself is tested, inscribed, and materially thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment